You’re a consultant geologist for a company in San Diego and you’ve been asked to evaluate a particular site
for its natural hazard risk. Your assignment is to answer the questions below and submit them to your supervisor.
From the specific region inside the red circle on the map, answer each question clearly and concisely, IN
ORDER, and NUMBERED. These questions are only about and/or refer to the region circled – which is the land affected by the line with little triangles. In order to identify this, you must be able to read a tectonic map.
NOTE: Your answer to question 2 below must be rather detailed and complete – about 80% of your paper.
It will be a large portion of your grade. It refers to the earlier Plate Tectonics lectures (mostly lecture 7), and
also introductory Earthquakes, Tsunami, and Volcanoes lectures.
Length – Length of report: minimum 500 words (answers only). You can go up to 700 words. A short report means
a short grade! Please do not re-write the questions. Just answer them, numbered, and in order.
References – You shall not use any references. The report should be written in your own words only and should be
based strictly on lecture notes and your own understanding of the subject – No plagiarizing allowed. It’s okay,
however, to write down any lecture notes verbatim, but plagiarism percent should be no more than ~15-18%.
– must be Word (or PDF).
1. What type of plate boundary exists here inside this circled region? (1-word answer only)
2. Explain IN GREAT DETAIL the tectonic regime or boundary you think is going on here inside the circle (i.e., is it continental rifting, subduction, mid-ocean ridge, hot spot, continental collision, etc.?); Where is it? Now, in great detail, tell me ALL you learnt about this kind of tectonic boundary, based on the multiple lectures on
Tectonics, first part of Earthquakes, of Volcanoes, of Tsunami. Your discussion should be of a scientific
nature and include all the facts and evidence that you learnt all term about this boundary (meaning, how
exactly does this boundary work?)
3. List any and all natural hazards that you think are possible in this region. List only; Do not explain.
4. What specific plate boundary exists directly southeast of this circled area (type and name)? At what velocity is it
moving? (must include units.)
Your supervisor asked you to investigate this area further in terms of its Mass Wasting hazards. You took these
photos below, since you felt that populations here were in danger. You know that this was all discussed in lecture, so you’re ready to tackle these questions below. Each picture is a different hazard. Recall that I discussed about 8 mass wasting hazard types in lecture. These Images are very similar to or the same as shown in lecture.
5. What is the most clear and obvious mass wasting hazard or type in this photo 1 below? Explain your answer fully,
based on all the evidence that you clearly see, and which I also discussed in lecture. (very short paragraph only)
6. What is the most clear and obvious mass wasting hazard or type in this photo 2 below? Explain your answer fully, based on all the evidence that you clearly see, and which I also discussed in lecture. (very short paragraph only)